Welcome to the Homeopathy Research Institute

The Homeopathy Research Institute is an innovative international charity created to address the need for high quality scientific research in homeopathy. We use our resources and expertise to foster new projects and to improve the quality of research being carried out in the field.

HRI Rome, 5-7 June 2015
2nd International Homeopathy Research Conference heads to the Italian Capital!


 


HRI Barcelona 2013 Conference presentations

Learn about the very latest research and support HRI by watching these short professional films from our 1st International Research Conference. Available to stream online for microdonations from £1 each. Find out more

Learn more about HRI:
HRI About us
HRI Research projects

Project highlights

Depression – What is the role of treatment by homeopaths?

This project will evaluate the acceptability and the comparative effectiveness of adjunctive treatment provided by homeopaths for patients with self-reported depression, in addition to usual care. More

Overview:

This project is conceived and led by Petter Viksveen. He will be carrying out this project as part of his PhD studentship at the University of Sheffield, under the supervision of Dr. Clare Relton and Prof. Jon Nicholl. The project began in November 2013.

This project aims to evaluate the acceptability and the comparative clinical and cost effectiveness of adjunctive treatment provided by homeopaths for patients with self-reported depression, in addition to usual care. Multiple methods are proposed for the design and implementation of this research project. The final outcomes of this project will aim to contribute to the knowledge base used to determine the appropriateness of offering homeopathy as an adjunct for patients suffering from depression.

The current plan includes:

A.      To review the literature on homeopathy in depression – a systematic
          literature review, including a review of patients’ self-reported experiences.

B.      To carry out a pragmatic randomised controlled trial to assess homeopathy as an
          adjunct to usual care in self-reported depression.

C.      To investigate patients’ experience through a qualitative study.

Current status:

Petter Viksveen has been accepted onto the Health and Related Research PhD programme. He is supervised by Dr. Clare Relton and Prof. Jon Nicholl. The project has obtained ethics approval from an NHS Research Ethics Committe. Patients are recruited from the ongoing NIHR CLAHRC funded South Yorkshire Cohort study.

This project has obtained 75% of the required funding and is seeking the remaining 25% (45k).

Team:

Mr P Viksveen  PHD student (University of Sheffield), MSc Homeopathy (Hons) (University of Central Lancashire), BA pedagogy (University of Oslo), Registered Homeopath MNHL (Norway)

Dr Karen Pilkington (Systematic review) – Senior Research Fellow, School of Life Sciences (University of Westminster)
Philippa Fibert – PhD student (University of Sheffield)

 

Supervision by:
Dr Clare Relton – Research Fellow, School of Health and Related Research (University of Sheffield), and a Registered Homeopath
Prof Jon Nicholl – Professor of Health Services Research and Dean of the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)

Advisor:
Prof Paul Bissell – Professor of Public Health and the Director of the Public Health Section, School of Health and Related Research (University of Sheffield)

 

Principal Investigator:

P Viksveen

Funding:

Project is currently seeking £45k
Less

Database quick search

Follow us on Twitter